At BHT, integrated modalities are used for wholebody wellness and increasing gains. One way you can ensure this is with a focus on brain nourishment.
Everyday supplements for every brain
In this article, you’ll find a bunch of tips you can use to nourish your brain. This information is given out to all BHT iLs Program clients, and is just as useful for anyone who’s thinking about possibly joining, or not planning to go on the iLs Program at all.
Try adding one thing from this list, and maintain the habit for 1 week before you add another new thing. What would it be like to add all of these useful brain nourishment practices into your daily routine over the next 10 weeks?
Simple daily routine
* This video on Youtbube has a 5 minute routine you can follow along with. Use this routine daily to prepare yourself for the day.
Music for at home
Listening to some types of classical music can help activate your brain
Listening to some types of classical music can relieve stress and calm your nervous system
Food and your brain
Whatever you’re putting in, is building the next version of your body. Give your brain and your body the very best chance at optimisation by choosing nutrient-dense inputs.
Foods that are not conducive to brain optimisation :
1. Sugary drinks : soft drink, flavoured water, cordial, sports drinks.
2. Refined carbohydrates : highly processed grains (white flour) and sugar : often found in white bread, pasta, cake, prepackaged baked goods.
3. Transfats : a type of (usually) processed / hydrogenated fats that can be found in commercial shortening, margarine, frosting, snack foods, ready-made cakes and prepackaged cookies.
4. Highly processed foods : full of sugar, processed fats and salts : such as chips, sweets, instant noodles, microwave popcorn, store-bought sauces and ready-made meals.
5. Artificial sweeteners such as aspartame : found in diet products and processed goods that are labelled “sugar-free”.
6. Alcohol : When consumed in moderation, alcohol can be an enjoyable addition to a nice meal. However, excessive consumption can have serious effects on the brain.
Foods that support your brain :
1. Fatty fish : salmon, trout and sardines, which are all rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Blueberries : when in season – eat fresh in summer or dried in winter
3. Turmeric : add to dishes or drink turmeric tea
4. Broccoli and other dark green leafy vegetables
5. Eggs : yolks and whites together, or yolks on their own – never take whites on their own
6. Green tea : choose organic and drink in high quality water
7. Dark chocolate : full of antioxidants and minerals. Go for 80%+ chocolate with as little added sugar as possible.
Bilateral Movement – aka – Walking :
Humans are born to walk. Moving your limbs stimulates your brian and can calm your nervous system.
Children and adults will benefit from a walk, outdoors, in the morning before the busy-ness of the day begins. 15 minutes outside in the morning is enough to set your body and brain up for the day.
Other Movements :
Any physical movement that engages opposing limbs and requires “crossing the midline” is beneficial to brain development. Examples are :
- Bear Crawl
- Bouncing a ball with alternating hands
- Jumping on either side of a line
- Monkey Bars
- Balancing on a beam at different heights
- Jumping from one place to another, at differing levels
Games to support brain development :
Big Movement, traditional games that children have played forever like :
- Rhyming hand slap games
Fine Movement, simple games like :
- Building Blocks
- Pick Up Sticks
Drink more water :
Most people are dehydrated, most of the time.
Hydration is a message to your body that things are okay. No stress.
Dehydration tells your nervous system that things are not okay. Something else (more stressful) is taking the place of your choice to drink, and your body/brain can read that as information that you are under pressure. This exacerbates stress hormones released into your body throughout the day.
Simply keeping hydrated can lower stress and calm your system, allowing your brain to work at it’s optimal capacity.
(Your body weight in kg) x .033 = minimum amount of litres of water you need to drink per day.
i.e. 60kg x 0.033 = 1.98 Litres of water minimum p/day
Simple hack : start your day with water. Drink 2-4 large cups of water as soon as you get out of bed, to send the message to your body that you are not under stress, you are safe, and you are well.
The Integrated Listening System
BHT offers a concentrated Brain Nourishment Program using the Integrated Listening System (iLs). The iLs’s purpose is to optimise your brain-body connection by strengthening the neural connections (brain pathways), and in turn improve skills.
The iLs is a concentrated commitment over 4-6 months. You can add to the benefits by trying some of the above techniques outside of your sessions.
Try it at Braidwood Holistic Therapies
Hollie has been using the iLs with her own children since 2012. She became certified in the Focus System in 2018, and has worked with a number of families locally, with incredible results. Previous families are willing to discuss their experience of iLs.
Book a 15 minute discussion with Hollie to find out if the iLs is an option for your family.
Want more helpful info? 6 Ways to Wellness is a free course delivered direct to your inbox.
The article Everyday Brain Nourishment was published by Hollie, for Braidwood Holistic Therapies.
Feel free to share this article with your friends, by using the url : https://braidwoodholistic.com.au/brainnourishment/.
Where to next?